What is Write On?
Write On is Hartford Stage’s Annual Young Playwrights’ Competition and is open to all Connecticut residents in grades 9-12. From among these applicants, 5-6 are selected to participate in the program. The program is modeled on Hartford Stage’s new play development process, and Write On playwrights have the unique opportunity to learn about professional play development first-hand. Accepted students will work with a professional playwright to turn their ideas into ten-minute play scripts. Over the next few months, the playwright will lead students in intensive writing workshops held at Hartford Stage. The program will culminate with readings of the ten-minute plays performed by local actors and directed by professional directors who work closely with the young playwrights.
Try picking up a newspaper, logging on to a news organization’s website, or looking through a magazine.
- What people, places, and events grab your attention?
- What stories do the photos and advertisements tell?
- Who are the characters? Is there anyone or anything that piques your interest?
- If you see something that speaks to you, consider the reason why. How does it connect to you and your life?
Ask yourself these questions when drafting your idea:
- What am I trying to say with this play?
- What do I want the audience to know, understand, or wonder?
- Does my idea contain a clear conflict?
- Can I explore this topic in a 10-minute format?