2012-2013 Write On Playwrights
What is Write On?
Write On is Hartford Stage's Annual Young Playwrights' Competition and is open to all Connecticut residents in grades 9-12. From among these applicants, 5-6 are selected to participate in the program. Write On playwrights have the unique opportunity to sit in on rehearsals and readings at Hartford Stage's Brand: NEW Festival of New Work in order to learn about the professional play development process first-hand. The Brand: NEW experience is at the core of Write On, and provides the young playwrights with valuable knowledge that supports their work in intensive writing workshops taught by a professional playwright. The program culminates in the spring with readings of the ten-minute plays the young playwrights will develop in the workshops.
Try picking up a newspaper, logging on to a news organization's website, or looking through a magazine.
- What people, places, and events grab your attention?
- What stories do the photos and advertisements tell?
- Who are the characters? Is there anyone you want to know more about?
- If you see something that speaks to you, consider the reason why. How does it connect to you and your life?
Ask yourself these questions when drafting your idea:
- What am I trying to say with this play? What do I want the audience to know, understand, or wonder?
- Does my idea contain a clear conflict?
- Can I explore this topic in a 10-minute format?