Student Performance Series
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we will not have any live performances in the 2020/2021 Season.
Student Performance Series
Bring your students to see a play at Hartford Stage! Each Student Performance Series ticket includes access to our online study guides and the opportunity to stay for a talkback hosted by an Education Staff member.
A Christmas Carol:
A Ghost Story of Christmas
By Charles Dickens
Adapted and originally directed by Michael Wilson
Directed by Rachel Alderman
Recommended for 4th grade and up
The magic of Charles Dickens’ heart-warming classic returns for its 19th season. Come see Connecticut’s favorite family holiday tradition and spend some time with Bob Cratchit, Tiny Tim, Ebenezer Scrooge, Jacob Marley and the ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and Future as they bring A Christmas Carol to life on stage. It’s perfect holiday entertainment!
Themes & Topics for discussion: Dickens, adaptation of literature, Industrial Revolution, greed and generosity, responsibility to others.
Please note: Contains spooky characters and images that may be frightening for some audience members.
Performance Dates (all performances 10:30 am)
- Tuesday, December 3, 2019
- Wednesday, December 4, 2019
- Friday, December 6, 2019
- Tuesday, December 10, 2019
- Wednesday, December 11, 2019
- Thursday, December 12, 2019
- Friday, December 13, 2019
- Tuesday, December 17, 2019
- Wednesday, December 18, 2019
- Thursday, December 19, 2019
Already bringing your class to Hartford Stage? Now bring Hartford Stage to your class! A Hartford Stage Teaching Artist will visit your school to lead your class in an interactive workshop connected to the play. Pre-show workshops focus on offering students entry points to the play by introducing major characters, thematic elements, and/or historical context. Each workshop runs one 45-60 minute class period for a fee of $100.
Deadline is June 17
InterACT exposes hundreds of underserved students in grades 9-12 to professional theatre by inviting them to participate in the Student Performance Series, Hartford Stage’s student matinee program, free of charge. Teachers may apply for participation of one or two classes. InterACT classes receive in-school, pre-show workshops that explore themes related to the productions. InterACT is subsidized through Hartford Stage corporate and foundation funding.
Through InterACT, Hartford Stage aims to
- Expose students to a range of genres of dramatic literature and performance styles.
- Deepen students’ engagement with plays through in-school workshops.
- Develop critical thinking skills that allow students to reflect on Hartford Stage shows through conversation, analysis, and dramatic engagement.
- Strengthen the relationship between students and Hartford Stage while building an appreciation for live performance.
For more information about InterACT or pre- and post-show workshops, contact Jennifer Roberts at firstname.lastname@example.org