October 22 – November 15, 2020
If you have tickets for the original dates, please click here for more information.
By Eugene O’Neill
Directed by Melia Bensussen
Ah, Wilderness! takes place in a picturesque Connecticut town at the turn of the 20th century and paints a nostalgic portrait of small-town values, teenage growing pains, and young love. The warm-hearted play centers on teenaged Richard Miller, an aspiring poet who falls in love with the “girl-next-door.” His love letters and ensuing adventures lead his parents to recall their own romance and youth. Bensussen’s production of O’Neill’s only comedy promises to be a joyous ode to Americana and the celebration of family, infused with period-appropriate live music.
Approximate Running Time
Days with a matinee and evening show
Thank you for your interest in PlayDate, our new babysitting initiative pilot program!
PlayDate was developed jointly by Hartford Stage and Christ Church Cathedral to offer reliable, convenient childcare for parents eager to relax and enjoy a live theatre performance.
YOU MUST RESERVE YOUR SPACE 72 Hours in advance of the performance.
The deadline to purchase tickets AND add-on PlayDate is May 13!
DAY OF PERFORMANCE INFORMATION:
- On the day of the performance, go directly to Christ Church Cathedral – 45 Church Street, Hartford, CT 06103 (directly across the street from the Hartford Stage Box Office). Ring to bell to be let in. The ChildCare room is on the second floor. A Christ Church or Hartford Stage representative will escort you and your child to the space.
- Drop off will be between 1:30 and 1:50 pm before the 2 pm matinee
- Your tickets and a release form to be signed will be at the Church.
- Pick up will be within 20 minutes after the end of the show.
- Caregivers and Hartford Stage front of house staff will have seat information for all participating adults so that we can find you in case of an emergency.
INFORMATION ABOUT CHILD CARE INITIATIVE:
- All participating children must be between the ages of 2 and 10 years.
- Childcare providers are background checked and Safe Church trained.
- Older children will have a movie and age appropriate board games; younger children will have age appropriate toys and coloring.
- Snacks are the responsibility of parent/caregivers and should be labeled with instructions.
- Children do not need to be potty trained but diapering supplies should be provided by the family.
- There will be a 4 to 1 child to adult ratio with at least one CPR/First Aid trained care provider on site.
$25 | $45 | $65 | $80 | $95
Includes all fees. Prices subject to change without notice. All Regular Season Student Seats $20.
- October 22-28: Previews (what’s this?)
- October 30: Opening Night
- October 8, 2:00 pm & 7:30 pm: Open Captioned Performance (what’s this?)
- October 14, 2:00 pm: Audio Described Performance (what’s this?)
Previews are the first week of a show. The director may still be making adjustments to the performance.
Open Captioned Performances
For patrons who are deaf or have hearing loss. FREE with admission.
Audio Described Performances
For patrons who are blind or have low vision. FREE with admission.
HPL @ Hartford Stage
Hartford Public Library and Hartford Stage invite you to dig deeper into the world of the plays onstage. Use your Connecticut town library card to check out a book from the HPL @ Hartford Stage library kiosk located in the lower lobby of the theatre near Guest Services.
November 3, 4 and 10
Join members of the cast and our Artistic staff for a free discussion, immediately following select 7:30 pm performances on Tuesday or 2:00 pm Wednesday matinees. FREE
Sunday Afternoon Discussion
Speaker TBD. Immediately following the 2:00 pm Matinee. FREE.
Jill Adams & Bill Knight
Jeffrey & Nancy Hoffman
Sally L. Speer
Assistant Production Sponsors